Apple is yet to announce a launch date for its 2021 iPhones, but several reliable reports already suggest they will most likely come out in September.
While a stream of leaks and rumors has given us a good idea of what to expect — including 120Hz display, faster A15 processor, and more storage options, there is still a whole lot that we don’t know about the upcoming iPhones — model name, for instance.
A recent SellCell survey revealed that one in five Apple users (18.3%) are triskaidekaphobic (fear of number ’13’) and that a whopping 74% would prefer a different name than iPhone 13 for next-gen iPhones.
And therefore, it will be interesting to see whether the firm would give in to the superstition and go for a different model name, although recent reports make this seem less likely.
Now, with just a month away from a potential launch, we surveyed iPhone users about their interest in the iPhone 13 lineup — or whatever Apple ends up calling them — and other upcoming Apple products, including Apple Watch Series 7 and AirPods 3, and here is what we found out.
Note: The survey included more than 3000 iPhone users, aged 18 years or older, based in the US.
- Higher refresh rate display, under-display Touch ID, always-on display, and smaller notch / notch-less design topped the list of most exciting rumored features of iPhone 13 at 22%, 18.2%, 16%, 10.9%, respectively.
- Portless design, faster WiFi 6E connectivity, and reverse wireless charging are among the least favorite features at 0.8%, 1.1%, and 1.5%, respectively.
- 43.7% of iPhone owners intend to upgrade to iPhone 13 after it is released.
- The standard 6.1-inch iPhone 13 is the model of choice for 38.2% of potential buyers, followed by the 6.7-inch iPhone 13 Pro Max (30.8%), the 6.1-inch iPhone 13 Pro (24%), and the 5.4-inch iPhone 13 Mini (7%).
- When it comes to Apple’s other incoming releases, 27.3% are looking forward to buying the Apple Watch Series 7, while only 12.9% are interested in the AirPods 3.
120Hz display, under-display Touch ID, and always-on display among the top iPhone 13 features
We first asked the iPhone users to pick a rumored feature they are most excited to see in the upcoming iPhone 13, and the responses – in order of the votes received – were:
Note: Respondents were allowed to select only one option.
- Higher refresh rate display (120Hz) – 22%
- Under-display Touch ID – 18.2%
- Always-on display – 16%
- Smaller notch / notch-less design – 10.9%
- Bigger battery capacity – 8.3%
- More storage space (1TB) – 8.1%
- Improved camera features – 6.6%
- New color options (orange, pink, etc.) – 4.1%
- Faster processor (A15) – 2.4%
- Reverse wireless charging – 1.5%
- Faster WiFi 6E connectivity – 1.1%
- Portless design (fully wireless) – 0.8%
Nearly 44% intend to upgrade, with the standard 6.1-inch model being the most popular pick
Next, we asked the respondents whether they intend to upgrade to iPhone 13, and the results were:
- 43.7% of iPhone users said they plan to switch to iPhone 13, up 2.7% compared to iPhone 12 purchase intent from a SellCell survey last year.
- Whereas 56.3% revealed they are not interested in the upcoming iPhone range
Like the predecessor iPhone 12, the iPhone 13 will also likely be available in four variants — 5.4-inch iPhone 13 Mini, 6.1-inch iPhone 13, 6.1-inch iPhone 13 Pro, and 6.7-inch iPhone 13 Pro Max, despite rumors early on that Apple could ditch the ‘Mini’ model due to poor sales.
As a follow-up question, we asked the potential buyers (respondents who answered ‘yes’ to buying iPhone 13) which of the four iPhone 13 models they would choose when they upgrade, and here is what we learned.
- The standard iPhone 13 is the most popular pick at 38.2%, followed by the iPhone 13 Pro Max at 30.8%.
- 24% said they would go for the iPhone 13 Pro model, whereas a mere 7% are interested in the smallest iPhone 13 Mini.
Interests in other upcoming Apple products
Besides the iPhone range, Apple may also refresh other product lines, including AirPods and Apple Watch, at the September event.
An upcoming Apple Watch — presumably called the Apple Watch Series 7 — is said to feature a new flat-edge design, a bigger battery capacity, and an additional optical sensor to monitor blood glucose levels, among other things.
Meanwhile, the AirPods 3, the long-overdue successor to the 2019 AirPods 2, is rumored to feature an AirPods Pro-like design, improved battery life, active noise cancellation, and spatial audio support, among other things.
With the new Apple Watch 7 and the AirPods 3 expected to go official alongside the iPhone 13, we asked the same set of respondents whether they would be interested in buying any of them if the rumors are true, and we found out.
- 27.3% of iPhone owners said they would consider buying the Apple Watch Series 7 as it releases later this year.
- On the other hand, only a mere 12.9% expressed their interest in buying the third iteration of Apple AirPods.
Despite the ongoing pandemic and supply chain disruptions, Apple has sold over 100 million iPhone 12 units within just seven months of launch, thereby breaking several previous iPhone sales records.
And if the survey is any indication, the firm can expect an even higher demand for the upcoming iPhone lineup, as a whopping 43.7% expressed their interest in buying an iPhone 13.
The figure indicates an almost 3% increase in purchase intent for newer iPhone models compared to last year’s survey.
The standard 6.1-inch iPhone 13 is the model of choice for 38.2% of potential buyers, followed by the iPhone 13 Pro Max at 30.8%, the iPhone 13 Pro at 24%, and finally the iPhone 13 Mini at 7%.
120Hz display (22%), under-display Touch ID (18.2%), always-on display (16%), and smaller notch / notch-less design (10.9%) are among the most exciting rumored features of iPhone 13, according to iPhone users who participated in the survey.
Reports about the addition of an optical glucose sensor in the upcoming Apple Watch Series 7 appear to have piqued the interest among Apple users, as 27.3% responded they would purchase it if the rumor turns out to be true.
Surprisingly, a mere 12.9% of Apple users are interested in buying the AirPods 3, despite rumors about a new design, noise cancellation feature, spatial audio support, and more.
The report is based on an online survey – conducted between July 28 – Aug 6, 2021 – involving more than 3000 iPhone owners, aged 18 years or older, based in the United States.
The responses to the survey were collected without storing any personally identifiable information of the involved respondents.
The motive of the survey was to collect responses from existing iPhone users regarding their intent to buy the iPhone 13 and other incoming Apple products, including Apple Watch Series 7 and AirPods 3.