Apple, on October 13, unveiled four new iPhone 12 models — 5.4-inch iPhone 12 Mini, 6.1-inch iPhone 12, 6.1-inch iPhone 12 Pro, and 6.7-inch iPhone 12 Pro Max.
Interestingly, despite months of leaks and rumors, the Cupertino company still managed to save quite a few surprises for the launch event.
The big surprise, and a pleasant one at that, is the addition of MagSafe technology, which offers enhanced wireless charging support for the new iPhones along with a bunch of new accessories.
And the other big surprise that unfolded during the launch – one that outraged many tech enthusiasts – is that new iPhones won’t come with a charger and earphones out of the box.
Now, as Apple ships the first batch of iPhone 12 preorders, we decided to collect responses from more than 3000 iPhone users with an older model on what they think about the new lineup, their pricing, and more.
- 5G capability is the best feature of the iPhone 12 at 53%, according to current iPhone users.
- MagSafe technology takes the second spot in the list of most exciting features at 47.8%, followed by Compact ‘Mini’ size (41.9%) and Flat-edge design (37.9%).
- Other popular responses include ‘Ceramic Shield’ glass protection (30.8%), Improved camera features (25.9%), Faster A14 Bionic processor (20.9%), Improved XDR OLED display (16.9%), and New color options (14%).
- Improved water resistance (10.9%) and LiDAR scanner (8.2%) are among the least popular additions to the iPhone 12.
- A majority (82.8%) of iPhone users said they aren’t bothered by the lack of much-rumored 120Hz display on the iPhone 12 series, as opposed to 17.2% who said otherwise.
- A majority (73.9%) disagree with Apple removing the charger and wired Earpods from the iPhone 12 box, with 48% saying they ‘strongly disagree’ and another 25.9% saying ‘disagree.’
- Meanwhile, two in 10 (20.1%) iPhone users agree with Apple’s radical new move, with 7.9% selecting ‘strongly agree’ and 12.2% selecting ‘agree.’ A mere 6 percent neither agree nor disagree with the firm’s decision.
- When asked what they think about the iPhone 12 pricing, the following were the responses: Good value (36.1%), Fairly priced (23%), Expensive (27.9%), Too expensive (13%).
74% not happy about Apple ditching accessories
“What new feature(s) of the iPhone 12 lineup do you like the best?”. We asked this question to more than 3000 respondents with an iPhone, and here are the responses:
Note: Each respondent was allowed to select one or more than one option from the list.
- 5G capability – 53%
- MagSafe technology – 47.8%
- Compact ‘Mini’ size – 41.9%
- Flat-edge design – 37.9%
- ‘Ceramic Shield’ glass protection – 30.8%
- Improved camera features – 25.9%
- Faster processor (A14 Bionic) – 20.9%
- Improved XDR OLED display – 16.9%
- New color options – 14%
- Improved water resistance – 10.9%
- LiDAR scanner – 8.2%
Despite several pre-launch reports tipping an upgrade to 120Hz displays, the iPhone 12 lineup still retains the 60Hz display of its predecessor. We decided to check in with our survey takers to see whether the lack of a higher refresh rate display would be a dealbreaker, and here is what we found out:
- A majority of iPhone users are content with a 60Hz display, as 82.8% say they are not bothered by the lack of a higher resolution display.
- Whereas a relatively smaller 17.2% aren’t happy about missing out on higher refresh rate displays.
Apple followed up on its carbon-neutral promise with the omission of the charger and wired Earpods from the box of iPhone 12 models. We asked the existing iPhone users whether they agree or disagree with Apple removing the accessories, and here are the results:
- Most of the users (73.9%) disagree with Apple’s action, with 48% votes on ‘strongly disagree’ and 25.9% on ‘disagree.’
- Meanwhile, 20.1% are in support of Apple ditching accessories, with 7.9% opting ‘strongly agree’ and 12.2% opting ‘agree.’
- Six percent of iPhone users are not sure what to make of it (‘undecided’).
As a recap, the starting prices of the new lineup are $699 for iPhone 12 Mini, $799 for iPhone 12, $999 for iPhone 12 Pro, and $1099 for iPhone 12 Pro Max. We followed up with the same set of respondents on what they think about the iPhone 12 pricing, and the following were the responses:
- Good value – 36.1%;
- Fairly priced – 23%;
- Expensive – 27.9%;
- Too expensive – 13%
The latest survey results echo the findings from our pre-launch report for the most part when it comes to the list of most exciting features of the iPhone 12.
5G connectivity once again tops the list of most popular features of iPhone 12, followed by MagSafe technology, compact form factor (iPhone 12 Mini), Flat-edge design, and ‘Ceramic Shield’ protection.
Surprisingly, the survey reveals that the majority of iPhone users (82.8%) think 120Hz displays are gimmicky and are content with the 60Hz display of the new lineup.
With a whopping 73.9% expressing their disagreement, it is clear from the survey that Apple’s reasoning for ditching chargers and earphones has failed to strike a chord with most iPhone users.
The report is based on an online survey – conducted between October 18-26, 2020 – involving more than 3000 iPhone users, aged 18 years or older, based in the United States.
The responses to the survey were collected without storing any personally identifiable information of the involved respondents.
The motive of the survey was to collect responses from iPhone owners with an older model on what they think about the new iPhone 12 series, their pricing, and more.